Travel & Lodging
Frequently asked questions Middle Fork Salmon River
Middle Fork Salmon River ~ Travel to Stanley, Idaho
There is commercial air service to Boise, Idaho. Then you have 3 options to get to Stanley.
- Rent a car and drive (131 miles or 3 hours)
- Shuttle Service with Caldwell Transportation (131 miles or 3 hours)
- Fly (45 minutes) with small Cessna airplane
Drive: Rental cars – Budget, Payless, Alamo, Hertz, Avis. Costs around $300/week.
Shuttle: Caldwell Transportation– 800-727-9925- departs at 4pm from Boise airport and 7am from Stanley. Reservation must be made 48 hours in advance. Cost is $80/one way or $155 roundtrip.
Fly: Sawtooth Flying Services– 800-798-6105 or 208-342-7888. ~$300 Boise/Stanley per person roundtrip.
Sun Valley Option: Another option is flying into Sun Valley (Hailey Airport) and take a taxi (~$150/van one-way) to Stanley, which is ~1 ½ hours north. It costs more to fly to Hailey than Boise but more convenient. WR Taxi in Hailey- 208-788-TAXI.
Lodging is needed before and after your trip.
We have 14 rooms reserved under “Middle Fork River Expeditions” at the Mountain Village Lodge (800) 843-5475 for the evening before your trip and on day 6 of your trip. Please call them right away after booking your trip as they release the room block 14 days before the date. We also recommend the Sawtooth Hotel at 208-721-2459.
Call them directly after you decide on a trip date.
Plan to arrive in Stanley, Idaho by early evening the day before your trip for our 7:30pm meeting at the MFRE warehouse, located ¼ mile west on Hwy 21 from Mountain Village on the left hand side of the street, between the Triangle C Ranch and the Meadow Creek Spa. There are three wooden oars with MFRE on them at the driveway entrance. We will get acquainted and answer questions, and have a short orientation to show you how to pack the waterproof bags (one large for sleeping kit and camp clothes and one small one for on-river gear) we provide for your personal gear.
Main Stem of the Salmon River ~ Travel to Salmon, Idaho
Lodging is needed the night before your trip in Salmon. We will meet at the Stagecoach Inn (208-756-2919) at 7:30pm the night before your trip begins. The best rooms are on the river side of the hotel and a little more expensive but well worth it.
At the end of the trip, the Super 8 in McCall (208) 634-4637 has clean rooms or the Hotel McCall (866-800-1183) is a more expensive and a very nice hotel. For Boise, we recommend the Best Western Vista Inn (800) 727-5006) which is right next to the airport and has a shuttle service. There is also a nice restaurant adjacent to the hotel for dinner. Please call them directly after you have signed up for the trip.
Travel to Salmon, Idaho
Guests are responsible for their travel arrangements to Salmon. There are two transportation options to choose from, driving or flying. There is commercial air service to Boise, Idaho or Missoula, Montana. Then rent a car and drive to Salmon (5 hours from Boise or 2 hours from Missoula) or fly in a small 5 or 9 seater airplane with Sawtooth Flying Service (800-798-6105).
- If you are driving to Salmon, you can drive right to Salmon, Idaho either by personal car or rental car from Boise or Missoula airports. Please arrange with River Shuttles (208-756-4188). to shuttle your vehicle from the Stagecoach Inn in Salmon to Carey Creek, which is the take-out for the river. The cost is ~$350/car and $50 gas deposit. Please make the reservation for this immediately after booking your trip to be sure they have enough drivers to do your shuttle. Upon your arrival at the Stagecoach Inn, there is a desk with paperwork to fill out and an envelope to place your keys and place in a locked box for River Shuttles to pick up. Please be sure you bring 2 sets of car keys, one to leave with the shuttle company and one to bring with you on the river. If you have only one key, you must state on your paperwork you want the key left on the tire outside the car otherwise they will assume you have an extra key and lock the keys in the car.
- If you are flying to Salmon, you can fly into Boise, Idaho and then take the flight (approximately 1 hour and $220) directly to Salmon, Idaho the day before your trip begins. You can contact Sawtooth Flying Service (800) 798-6105) to reserve your flight. These are small 5 and 9 seater aircraft and it is a spectacular flight. When you arrive in Salmon, the Stagecoach Inn will pick you up at the airport and drive you to the hotel. If you need assistance with your travel arrangements, please ask MFRE.
*Please note we will provide transportation from Salmon to the river put-in point on Day 1.
After The Trip
We will arrive at the take-out point at Carey Creek at approximately 10am on Day 6.
If driving, your car will be waiting for you and you can be on your way.
If flying, we can provide transportation (2 hours) to McCall, Idaho ($50/person charge), arriving by 2pm for flights (~$200) with Sawtooth Flying Service (800-798-6105) back to Boise, arriving by 3-4pm.
We can also drive you all the way from Carey Creek to Boise (5 hours), Idaho (additional $100/ person charge). Anticipated time of arrival back to Boise is approximately 6:00 p.m., but unexpected events could delay us so if you plan on flying out this evening please arrange flights for after 8pm. We recommend you stay another night in Boise and fly out the next day to avoid complications in flight connections after the trip. We recommend the Best Western Vista Inn ((800) 727-5006) which is right next to the airport and has a shuttle service. There is also a nice restaurant adjacent to the hotel for dinner.
Please let us know if you would like ground transportation on Day 6 to get to McCall or Boise, otherwise we will assume you are shuttling your car to the take-out point at Carey Creek.
Frequently asked questions Middle Fork Salmon River are easy to answer. Most Frequently asked questions Middle Fork Salmon River can be found by reading the detailed itinerary first. If you still have questions about logistics, give us a call or visit the Frequently asked questions Middle Fork Salmon River hyperlink at the top of the page. If you don’t get your answer in the Frequently asked questions Middle Fork Salmon River section please give us a call!
We hope to see you this summer on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River or the Main Salmon River in Idaho.